I’ve been really contemplating on changing the layout of my page. I’m about to enter a new phase in my life and so I believe that this blog needs a major overhaul. I need a more professional look on my blog.
Don’t get me wrong, this won’t still be a niche blog. This will still be my personal blog about anything that I want to blog about, things that interest me, but I need a new look over here.
I’ve been looking at different Blogger templates over the web and I found some that I like. Of course, I will edit them and change things up to my liking so it might take awhile. Anyway, I’ll have a lot of time to re-design this blog since me and Mai won’t be applying anymore for a job. Yes, this time, we’ll be the bosses.
Okay, technically, we’re not the bosses. Mai impulsively thought about setting up their (her family’s) own computer shop/internet cafe. And, in just a few days, they’ve rented a space for the shop, they’ve started construction (Mai and her family are actually there now to paint while I’m alone at home to work on the tarp design and our logo), and they’ve already window shopped for computers. Since we’re the only ones who are technical enough to actually handle the responsibilities of an internet cafe, we decided to not apply anymore and just come up with our own means of earning through that shop. Of course, it’s still owned by her parents/family so we’ll just get a stipend or allowance monthly. But, at least, this way, we’ll have more time together, we’ll be more in control of it and what we wanna do with the time. PLUS, I get to apply my skills as a graphics designer full-time.
I’ve wanted to pursue my dreams as a graphics designer. I can’t help but drool over amazing layouts and graphics that I sometimes feel I’m holding myself back. This time, I can finally use those skills to earn real money. How can I do that? And what am I planning to do in our internet cafe?
- We’ll offer typing jobs. My typing speed, believe it or not, is 75-90 words per minute. Back in my previous company APAC, I hold the record of the fastest typist in their typing speed pre-employment exam. Hah! My accuracy is very good, too. Well, I’m still adjusting with my new laptop’s keyboard but, still, I type fast. I even amaze myself. I can even type with my eyes closed. And I’m not exaggerating. I can finish a 100-page report in 3 hours. Okay, exaggerated na. Hehehe.
- We’ll offer ID photo printing and photo editing. I’ve been designing digital scrapbooks for years so we can also offer Digital Scrapbook printing. And I’m good with Photoshop so that’s a breeze (avah, confident!). I just had no time to really harness my graphics design skills.
- We’ll offer designing and printing of business cards, invitations, posters, etc. Heck, even tarpaulin design. I’m actually working on the signage that we’re going to use for the shop. We already have a business name for the shop but I can’t reveal that yet until we’ve registered it through DTI.
- How about my web designing skills? I can put that into good use, too. Maybe get new clients and develop my skills more. I will start re-designing this blog first then I’ll setup 2 more blogs. Yes, I’m planning to setup 2 more. Those 2 will be more on design. I’ll start designing layouts for Friendster and Blogger.
- I’m planning on hosting my own blog and switch to WordPress. Might take a while since I need to finish all of the above first.
Wow. Can I even do all that? Well, I’ll sure have a lot of free time in my hands so why can’t I?! I have Mai’s support so I know I can accomplish all that. Plus, my Nanay actually gave me her blessing, saying “Kung saan ka masaya, suportahan taka”. Okay, not her exact words but she said she’s okay with anything that I wanna do over here. Dang, I miss her. I hope me and Mai can save enough so we can fly to Manila in October for my brother’s graduation. Gosh.
Anyway, I’m excited about this but at the same time kinda sad ‘coz Mai has been spending most of her time helping her family set up the shop. I miss her a lot but I know the hard part of all these is about to end.
I just hope mag-click ang computer shop na ‘to. Through this experience, I’ll know if I’m good with business or not. I’ve always pictured myself working for a private company or a call center as a team leader. Maybe this experience can help me realize my dreams to be a full-fledged graphics designer.
I’m crossing my fingers… and toes!