Note: This post is updated as I get more sites, contact numbers and social media channels where you can find information on how to help.
The rain hasn’t stopped yet and thousands of people all over Metro Manila need our help. Amidst all the destruction over the past 2 days, this experience has shown how united we are when our fellow Filipinos need help. And our unity is proven through social media.
If you’d like to help or you need more information, these are the Twitter accounts and hashtags you should follow, crowd sourced forms / documents, communication channels and ways you can send in your donations to the victims of the Metro Manila floods.
Emergency Hotline Numbers
I posted all the Philippine emergency hotline numbers here. I also included Twitter accounts you should follow.
Text Collect Service by Globe and Smart:
This means the person receiving your message will be able to respond without being deducted or even when they have zero load.
- Globe’s “Text Mo Libre Ko” service: (I know this has been around for quite sometime)
– Compose your text message.
– Send it to 2354 + 11-digit Globe/TM number
- Smart’s Text-Collect Service:
– Compose your text message.
– Send it to 44 + 11-digit Smart/TNT number
How to Donate or Help with Relief Operations:
There are many ways you can donate. Donations may be in cash or in kind. A lot of the evacuees need water, food and clothes, so please do what you can.
Crowd-sourced Database for Rescue Operations:
If you know or see anyone who needs to be rescued, be kind enough to submit their information here:
REMINDER: When submitting information or details here, please be specific as possible.
It’s saddening to read about the people who need rescuing. I really wish the rain will stop, so they can all be rescued. 🙁
Twitter Hashtags to Monitor / Follow:
Twitter is now the best way to get updates on what’s happening all over the Metro. Follow these hashtags to get updates on the flood situation, relief and rescue operations.
- #FloodPH – News on the flood.
- #PHalerts – Updates on government advisories / announcements.
- #ReliefPH – Updates or how you can get information on relief operations.
- #RescuePH – Updates on rescue operations.
If you can, retweet posts from the #RescuePH feed. Some people following you might be able to help.
If you have friends or you know anyone who might need rescuing or help, then this information might be of great importance to them:
Emergency Cellphone Load from Globe and Smart
If you run out of load and you need to contact someone, Globe and Smart have offered a solution:
- Globe / Touch Mobile (TM) Subscribers: Text GTSOS to 3733
You will receive 3 emergency credits.
- Smart Subscribers: Dial *767.
You will receive 3 emergency credits + Php 1 airtime (what can this do?).
- Smart Subscribers with ZERO load: Dial *7572 to receive Php 5 credits (All-Net SMS and Php 1 airtime).
These credits will be deducted from your next prepaid load. I was hoping they’d give something that’s ACTUALLY free, but I guess they needed to do this to protect the service from being abused.
Websites for Flood Updates:
- Nationwide Operational Assessment of Hazards or Project Noah:
- Pinas 911: http://pinas911.info/ – This is a site that shows you feeds on the Twitter hashtags listed above, all in one place. Currently, they have feeds of the hashtags above.
Feel free to leave websites or information at the comments section for places where relief or donations can be sent to.